The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Monday 24 February 2014

Re work what you have.

The other day when I cleaned up my mantle piece and jewellery I gave away some things I will never wear and made up a bag full of things that have elements I like but the chain is broken or the wrong length or some other reason the jewellery isn't worn. Some things I keep because they were given to me by someone special or have some lovely memory attached to them.

A while ago I noticed in stores some very expensive pendants which were like little collections of interesting things grouped together. And they were kind of interesting and lovely. But I thought wouldn't this be even better if the bits and pieces were personally special or told a story? So I began to group together various trinkets I have into pendants. I love pendants and a secret is if you plan for a pendant to fall and sit at your skinniest point (or best bit!) they will draw attention there. So for me that is my under bust and thats the length I wear pendants. Try it, it is a visual trick that really works!

This would be a good rainy day craft. Simply collect together bits and pieces lurking broken, unworn, hidden away, and group them into little wearable collections. The results are lovely! A think piece of velvet ribbon makes a lovely "chain" as well as fine leather.



Consider odds and ends like old keys, charms, brooches, watches, medals, medallions, ear rings even as lots of things can have a joiner added to them so they can be hung.

This collection is mostly really old things, found things. The seahorse I have had for years. Alone he looks a bit lame but in a little grouping I love him.



The crown is just a cheap charm. On their own things like this don't hang as they are too light. But paired up with something heavier they work just fine. Love crowns. And wings! The silver shell my Dad gave me when I was a teenager. I have always treasured it. 





There may be some stunning things you could be wearing with a little re arrange of how they are worn. The layered look is really lovely. But to do it you don't need new things, just wear several things together. I often wear four or five necklaces as I love that look. Different lengths look lovely. Have a little play and see what you can come up with. 

Treasures from the past are my favourite things. A whole heap of memories come from just looking at them. I think they are romantic and better than any store bought thing! 




1 comment:

  1. Love the combinations you have come up with Annabel. I will be remaking some jewellery as well but I have such a huge list of projects now :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.