The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Thursday 6 February 2014

Looking back. Valentines Day a few years ago!

A while ago I read a post somewhere of a lady who was very sad that it was her wedding anniversary and they had no money and so could not celebrate. Well, financial hardship is awful, I agree, but no reason not to celebrate and my mind exploded at her lack of imagination. But unfortunately lots of people equate celebrating with store bought gifts, champagne and so on which do cost money.

My mind went crazy thinking why not write your husband a love letter? Sprinkle the bed with rose petals and light candles? Greet him at the door wearing nothing but your best high heels? Cook his favourite dinner or look through your wedding photos together... anyway you could go on  forever with free ideas to make the day special.

Same with Valentines Day. Adding to financial worries is not really a great idea! There are just so many things you can do that are sweet,  special and free or very low cost. It doesn't make them any less gorgeous or memorable.

A few years ago in our first home I planned to make a special dinner on Valentines Day. I baked a brie in puff pastry with walnuts and cranberry sauce. Served with a little salad and lovely wine. I actually forget what I did for desert but once I made individual sized pavlova and served with strawberries and cream but I made them each in heart shapes. They were lovely!

So in the afternoon I took our little table out into the front garden and set it ready so Andy would walk in and see this...


And as he walked in he was beaming as he could see something special was happening. You could stop there and be a success as doing something like this says you have made an effort because you care. Simple! 

I remember in the morning I had packed Andy's lunch and everything in it was heart shaped... the only picture I have is of the little pancakes...




I'm sure when he opened it he laughed. But I know he thinks these things are sweet and gets all flattered that I would do it! I know it blesses his heart and he feels loved.

When the girls were little I would do something for Valentines Day. Just about anything can be cut or made in a heart shape, from toast in the morning to cheese, biscuits, sliced fruit... anything. A biscuit cutter does a neat job. It just adds a little sweetness.

A very simple treat was fairy bread. I am amazed still at the reaction you get when people see Fairy Bread, the simplest thing of all! I did this for a little girl at afternoon tea and her eyes nearly fell out!


It really doesn't take much. It is the thought, the care, that touches someones heart that you would want to make something special for them. A little note in the lunch box, a special treat, a thoughtful text during the day. 

One thing I know for sure is that a little planning makes things possible and easy. Last minute you sort of have no time and either spend lots of money to make up for it or feel bad you didn't do anything special. So that is why I am thinking of Valentines this week, there is a week to go. This makes it easy. A few sneaky little preparations and it becomes exciting and something to really look forward to. 

I also think it's a great excuse to do something outrageous and brave. If there is someone you like and they don't know it give them a little something on Valentines Day. You never know!


1 comment:

  1. Lovely ideas Annabel.

    It is amazing how much we could get brainwashed into thinking only expensive = valuable where gift giving is concerned. Simple, thoughtful ideas from the heart are just the best!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.