The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Monday 6 January 2014

Bouquet Garni.

After drying bunches of herbs the other day I had a cutting up session. Some crumble easily but I use scissors for the bay leaves. So I end up with bowls of herbs to use. They dried fast as it is summer and the faster they dry the fresher they seem and the colours are lovely and green.

They smell lovely! 



From here you can save them in jars (add a label) or cellophane bags. Anytime you have an excess this is a great way to save them. Another day I will do a post on how to freeze them or use them in things that will last like herbed oils and vinegars.

Most of mine I made into Bouquet Garni. You can buy it in kitchen sections of stores or by the metre. It is really cheap, I think mine was $3 a meter. I love it! You string needs to be plain un bleached and un waxed. The usual Bouquet Garni mix is thyme, parsley and bay leaf. As I had those I made these as they are cute, handy, easy to use and packs of them make lovely gifts. I know I will use these as in my chicken soup I would always use these herbs. These will be so handy in winter.

I made a longish string loop on each one so you can dangle into a pan or from a spoon if you want or else they are easy to fish out later.





They make lovely gifts once you package them up. You could use a jar and label them or cellophane bags and string. I have a couple of people in mind who I know would love them and would use them!


One of the good things about summer is we have so much free solar power! Quick drying of herbs for free is one use for it. The results are very good and fast.

I need to add a few new herbs to a few spaces. But in the end if I have spent about $4 on a punnet of herbs the amazing amount of produce is worth more than 10 x that and I will tend to use more herbs and more liberally too and then have some to give away. Lovely!









1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.