The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Pink frosting and Simple Abundance.

One of my favourite authors Sarah Ban Breathnatch wrote about finding time for creative excursions for yourself. This concept really stuck with me. Reading her book Simple Abundance is probably one of the best things I could ever tell you about! My friend Helen and I based three years of discussion and tips on a thread we wrote all on Simple Abundance. 

Essentially it is about the joys of simple things in our lives and how the routine, seasons, little things of life can be so exquisite and cost nothing or almost nothing. My heart burst the first time I read this book. If you are feeling less then 100% happy then read this book and put it into practice one step at a time. It is glorious. And that was the basis of the Indulgences under 50c thread that went all that time.

So one of the joys to insert into your life is to allow some time for yourself for inspiration in the form of a creative excursion. Now think about what are your passions and loves and what would you love to do that would possibly really inspire you? Some of mine so far have been to go to an absolutely amazing yarn shop and look at gorgeous yarns patterns and creations. Talk to the ladies and discover. Oh my goodness! I was way behind in what is available now. Stuff so divine I came out of there full of ideas and dreams! This little trip was great fun. It totally inspired me and motivated me. mmm this creative excursion thing is really smart!

Since then I regularly do it. Recently I did one to Country Bumpkin embroidery store. The fabrics, yarns, threads, patterns, displays of things others have made, beautiful magazines... I was in heaven. The feel of some of the cashmere wool blend blanketing... I couldn't wait to get home and start sewing. My head was swimming with ideas.

What ever it is for you plan some of these and see how you feel!

Another for me is just to go to Ikea or Howard's Storage World and absorb organisation ideas. Some of it is brilliant and I cannot wait to get home and try things. 

An alternative is to do something on your list of "that would be nice to do" things. I have a list I'm working through. Mostly I try to plan my week so I can fit in one of these things a week. It doesn't always happen, depending on priorities. One this week is to visit the ladies in the nursing home Andy visits. They are Wilma and Kath. They have been told I am coming armed with wedding photos! I have saved the afternoon for it and after thinking what could I take I decided on cupcakes. We checked they are not diabetic or anything so I don't kill them accidentally!




My shabby chic philosophy of imperfections add charm is coming into it's own here. I figure generous pink frosting is just yum!


I get glitter sprinkles from Spotlight in the cake decorating section. I just love this stuff. You are never too old for glitter in my opinion!

My recipe is 

125 g butter
125 g sugar
2 eggs
250g SR flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence.

Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs gradually. Add flour and milk and vanilla... beat but until combined and stop. Do not over beat. Use patty pans and it makes about 12 largish ones. Fill them about 3/4 to allow for rising.

Bake about 12 mins. (medium oven) Check after ten with a skewer.

Ice with your favourite icing. I use a tiny amount of pink colour.



To get height on your cake and icing place a marshmallow on top secured with a blob of icing as glue. Then ice over that so that your marshmallow is encased inside the icing. It becomes a yummy part of your cake and makes them look much better and gives this huge abundant look rather than a flatter one, to your cup cakes. It really makes them look sensational. And I wondered why mine always looked kind of flat. Friends with a cupcake shop taught me this trick! Now you can use a chocolate on top of chocolate cupcakes also.

Doing something special or a little creative outing add so much to your week. The variety is good for us. Something fresh and different keeps us from getting stuck in a rut.

I will let you know how I go and how the pink cup cakes go!

4 comments:

  1. Hope your visit goes well. Thank you for the marshmallow hint :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. It was a lovely visit. And the cakes a big success. I have found the half round marshmallows work better but any do the trick. Makes a big difference. xxx

      Delete
  2. The cupcakes look so gorgeous! Great hint on the marshmallows. I'm sure that Kath and Wilma will love them and hope you enjoy your visit this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaye. Yes they went down well. Such a simple thing greatly appreciated. It is so inexpensive to make a cake, or scones or something to take as a gift and everyone seems to love it. The day was a blessing. Andy was so thrilled I went and I met them and they met me.xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.