The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Saturday 2 November 2013

Let there be light!

Sunlight is a beautiful thing. I feel so much better with big windows, light coming into the house, a breeze flowing through. I just hate a dark house. Similarly dark furnishings make me feel things look heavy and small and not good for me.

This has led to some big decisions. Over at Sweet Melanie she is a girl with a paint brush. It takes some courage to paint some things as at first you don't know how it's going to turn out. And once you start the light things look so much better there is no stopping.

Years ago I came by this gorgeous french cupboard. I love it. But it was in dark brown. It took a little while to build the courage to paint it. I wish I had before photos.... think almost black brown. 

As I started the light paint brought out all the carved details much more... it was like it was coming to life!

It took several coats of paint. I used plain old ceiling white. After I finished the paint began to slightly finely crack giving it an eggshell patina. EVERYONE asks me how I did that. The answer is complete lack of surface preparation. Since this success I never sand, strip or anything before I paint. You get amazing aged effects this way. 

It is by far my best piece of furniture. Painting it made it so much better for my decor. I love it. And since have had the confidence to paint anything.






1 comment:

  1. Oh! I have a couple of items I've been willing myself to paint white. You just may have convinced me.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.