The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Monday 18 November 2013

An ounce of help is better than a pound of sympathy.

Sometimes the nicest thing you can do is make a meal for someone. I remember many years later a meal someone made me when one of my Nans died. it was the kindest thing. Another time I remember someone sending me a meal on a tray when I had been sick. It was wonderful! 

Those times when it's late, it's been a long hard day and someone has cooked you a meal it's a relief. It is the best! It doesn't have to be fancy. A wholesome meal just makes you feel better. 

Earlier this year one of the girls was really sick with a virus. It wiped her out. Complete little meals were run over to her place over and over. Having some one who does these things in a crisis is a big thing. You can see the relief in someone who needs a meal.

So many things can be made into individual portions. A big favourite of mine is to make things from cakes to pies to meat loaf all in a large muffin tray. You get neat individual sized portions. Great to freeze too.

A crock pot full of soup is another. You get so many portions and chicken soup is a great one if someone isn't well. The crock pot (slow cooker) is the most helpful thing. My secret is to make up a beef or chicken casserole and it will be so tender. Then use this as your filling to make a series of pies. Just use puff pastry and decorate them nicely and there you have ready to cook pies. They freeze perfectly and a golden pie can be a gift for a family (make a big one) or a single person. With these I always have a heap of meals in an emergency and never get caught out.

When I have lots of eggs I'll cook up a series of quiches for everyone. They are yum hot or cold and can go for lunches as well, for those I will make them in the muffin tray as they are just the right size. 

All these things I see made up and looking beautiful in our local gourmet store for $30 for a quiche and more for a decorated meat pie. Pfft we can do it for very little!




7 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more Annabel. Everyone always says 'But I didn't know what to do'. Do SOMETHING. Anything is better than nothing. Soup, quiche, a cooked chicken, portioned off and dropped off with a salad. Beautiful ideas from you as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, a home cooked meal can be the best gift. I took an individual meal to our neighbor who is 103 tonight. She still lives alone, can you believe it? I'm not sure which she enjoys most, the food or the visit. Thanks so much for sharing with SYC. Happy to be a new follower!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jann. How wonderful about your neighbour! If you think she would like a Christmas card from Australia I would love to send her one.

      Delete
  3. Forgot to mention, I'm sure it's not intentional, but I'm not seeing a link back to SYC
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jann, Im sorry I havent worked out how to add that, its been three weeks and I havent figured it out. I have followed your blog and will make a comment on your lovely blog onto my fb page to make up for it. I hate to seem rude. And I think your blog is lovely and you are so kind to comment on mine. Thanks.xx

      Delete
  4. Ok I must confess I have never done this, I had one meal made & delivered just after my 2nd child & I can still tell you what it was & recall the taste (I loved it!).
    I did take my niece a jar of bickies, does that count?
    good reminder for the future, & lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I think some vegies and herbs delivered would be a lovely gift, most cooks would love that. When in doubt I bake a cake, everyone seems thrilled with a cake! xx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.