The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Sunday 19 July 2015

Rose Making Tutorial. Part 2.

Continuing on from part one...

If you use all of the petals from your one section of paper it will be about right. But you might want to use more or less depending on the look you want. There are no rules!

When you feel your rose looks complete wrap your cotton around and secure it well.
Now your florist tape will secure it further and finish it off. This stuff is slightly sticky and stretchy. As you work squish and stretch, squish and stretch. It will hold firm. Begin with several tight rounds first firmly at the base of your rose.



Then stretch and wind to cover all your petals and all the way down the stem.


You are finished! They look lovely massed in a vase, wrapped as a bouquet or on top of a gift or cake.





You will find each rose is unique. No two will ever turn out the same. And imperfections are a good thing.

I do not make leaves. You could just as easily but I have never been happy with my leaves. I use a few fake ones from a stem of fake roses or I use fresh greenery from the garden to mix in.

Here I have used fresh rose leaves from the garden. I like this best. It looks really nice and they last ages. Also mixing real and imitation confuses the eye and makes things more believable!





When you start out on this you really need to treat your first few roses as your practice ones. Soon they become so quick and easy. They are a joy to make as you are taking that original packet of paper and you end up with roses! It is such a transformation!  You can fill your home with beautiful blooms for so little and have a great fun time.


If you wanted to expand on this there are people who sell handmade flowers on Etsy and their own websites and many are quite expensive. They are popular as people love flowers and for parties, weddings etc large quantities are needed. So that is also a possibility.

I hope this tutorial is useful to someone! Half way through it I wondered WHAT am I doing!!? It is not something simple to show! But really after a few this is easy! 

Paper crafts are like baking. You take a few really cheap components and can make amazing and valuable things! This always amazes me.  I have been making about four roses every evening while I watch our favorite cooking show. I never sit there doing nothing, I work on something in the evenings. In this one hour or so a day it is amazing how that adds to my craft time and my Christmas present stash too. 

There is great joy in creating. Allow yourself to learn and experiment and have a lovely time!
xxx


26 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous!
    Thank you for taking the time and for all of the effort you put into this post. This is such wonderful information to have for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Glenda,
      Thank you very much! I hope you get time sometime to try this...possibly with your Grand daughter! With love, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  2. These are simply stunning Annabel. I applaud your patience in posting the tutorial. Pinned and saved. Thankyou. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful Annabel! Thank you :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Annabel,

    I'm laughing because I went to type my comment and was going to say exactly Mimi's first sentence...these are simply stunning Annabel! LOLOLOLOL

    I cannot wait to do these. These tutorials are magnificent. Thank you for your time and thoroughness. I can totally do these. I'm already thinking of a gorgeous Christmas gift for someone too.

    Much Love,
    Colette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annabel,

    These roses take my breath away! Absolutely incredible! Sure had me fooled!

    I can't get over how simple these are to make! I'll be sharing this with my floral designing daughter!

    Hugs and happy weekend,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelley. I know you love pretty and feminine things... I hope you might enjoy some of these in your home!
      With love, Annabel.xxxx

      Delete
  6. Well Annabel, aren't these just beautiful and I also was fooled as I thought they were real. It might be a good activity for summer for us as the paper wouldn't dry here during the winter. I know how much work goes into making tutorials so thank you so much for your generosity in putting this together. I will mention it on my blog in a future post in case any of my readers have missed it. However, I am sure they all come here now anyway as your blog is so beautiful and the information is so helpful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nanna Chel,
      I had to dry mine near the heater as I dyed them last week. But it worked well. Thank you so much for your comments... yes tutorials take a while!
      I appreciate your help and support too, very much. Many thanks, Love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  7. Fabulous tutorial Annabel!! Thank you! These would have been wonderful for Jessica's wedding!! How do you keep them dust free? Shake out or dust lightly with a feather duster perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kaye, Thank you!
      I should have mentioned that. Delicate flowers I clean with a hairdryer on low and gently! I do a lot of dusting with a hair dryer actually, I put it on an extension cord! I have silk flowers I actually wash in the bath about once a year.
      You might have other weddings to decorate ahead of you yet! Many thanks!, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  8. Annabel, I so agree with everyone else's comments!! Those roses are just gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for doing this tutorial. They are very impressive.

    I will have to look for crepe paper packaged that way. I normally only see it in small rolls (to use for streamers).

    You are so generous with your time and talents!! Thank you, Annabel! Love, Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Teri,
      Craft shops should have it, maybe some cheap/discount stores. The thicker the quality the better.
      Possibly if stuck you will find it online. I hope you enjoy this! You cant have too many roses around! With love, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  9. Annabel, your tutorial reflects all the work that you have put into these beautiful roses. I also thought that they were real. Thank you for the lovely tutorial....they are a dream and so very Annabel!
    Love Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen,When you have time I can see you making this. It could also be a craft for girls or for decorating an event very cheaply.
      Thank you so much! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  10. I honestly can't get over how real the roses look. What a neat project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is surprisingly simple once you get going. I hope you will try it! xxx

      Delete
  11. Annabel, these are beautiful! Thank you for all the work that went into putting this tutorial together. I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annabel,
    Your roses are beautiful! And an economical way to add a little lovely to our homes! My granddaughter loves to do crafts maybe she will like to help me make some. Do you think it would be too difficult for a 6 year old to try?
    XOXO
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vicky, Thank you! I think a six year old could be really good at shaping the petals. She may be able to put them together too... see how she goes. But certainly she could set out your double petals and so on and love it.
      I love to teach children crafts, they are way more capable than people often think and will concentrate and work away on something! I think its great for them!
      Let me know how you go! With love, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  13. OMG!!!!!!! Annabel who would think they were crepe paper, unbelievable. Truly beautiful. Again, your generosity in sharing is lovely. Must try these one day. Thank you. Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your roses are just stunning! I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for posting the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Leigh, thank you very much for commenting!
      Love Annabel.xx

      Delete
  15. Thank you, Annabel! I use to do silk floral arrangements years ago. But making your own roses? Wow! Can't wait to make these with my daughters. And the grandmothers will love them! Also my girls will love gifting their friends with them.

    I've been using my crockpot a lot. Thanks for the helpful hint of laying a towel across the rim under the lid. We'll have roasted potatoes waiting for hubby and I when we return home from errands today.

    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Leslie,
      This sounds perfect for you! You could certainly go on to make arrangements. If you do please show me!
      Also your daughters will probably love this. The results are worth it and the gifts you can make are really lovely.
      I am so glad the crock pot tips are a help too.
      Have a wonderful weekend! Many thanks, Annabel.xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.