The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Friday 5 September 2014

Happiness and pets.

One of the antidotes to stress and worries of life is nature and animals. The beauty of nature just amazes me. I always think flowers and beautiful gardens are a glimpse of what heaven might be like. The stars, moon, rainbows... it is all incredible to me. And seeing these things and being somewhere where I can see the sea or watch the birds always has a wonderful effect on me. It is good therapy, it's calming and peaceful. We just need to be in the real world.

Pets kind of bring nature right up close! What sweetness they bring into our lives. Sweetness and trust.

Well, this is the story of our new pet! I had no intention of getting a new animal... but here we are with a new addition! 

My Mum has a house one street away from our house. She is on the farm and has this little place in the city which she uses quite a lot. Anyway I am often running over there to water the garden and one thing or another. Every time I walk over or back I pass a tiny house on the corner and a little bell rings. Like a dinner bell... and I always wonder WHO rings that bell and what does it mean?

Finally a couple of months ago I was talking to another lady who lives just next to this house. And I said "who rings that bell!?" She told me it is Ricky, he can hear peoples footsteps and he rings his bell. My mind exploded thinking what the heck who is this person!? 

Well, Ricky is a parrot. lol And it turns out the lady I am speaking to feeds him everyday and she takes me in to see who is ringing this mystery bell! 

Oh my goodness! You know I like birds and here is a beautiful friendly parrot saying hello to me.

And what a sad story. The lady feeds him as the old man who owned him died several years ago.  The mans wife then fed Ricky but she is now ill and elderly and has gone into a nursing home. No one lives there. Just Ricky.  The neighbour Pauline has kindly gone in and fed and watered him and talked to him, every day ever since. And before actually as the old lady no longer could even get outside to do these things. But in between Ricky is all on his own with no one to talk to and so he rings his bell whenever he hears footsteps....

I could cry.

Well, you know what happened next... I said I will take him, I love birds and he can come live with me. 

For the next three weeks I went over and fed and talked to him as he has been there for years... and he soon was friendly with me and eating from my hand. I took him different foods and soon found apples were his favourite and so far they still win! I note he eats up and down avoiding the peel and then when it's only peel left he throws it away. Like a kid.





Last weekend we finally moved him to our place. He didn't skip a beat. He seems so happy! He is just interested in everything we do. He can hear Andy's van coming up the back lane and the garage door open and he starts singing and ringing that bell!

He eats out of my hand and is just as good as gold.

He was just so lonely and this had gone one for several years. If I had known ... but I had no idea he was there.

The thing is the day I moved him I just decided to do it. It was time. It was daunting as I had to catch him... but it was easy in the end.

Once I got him home and he settled in and was eating etc I got a message that the old lady had just died. How strange is that? 

He is truly a wonderful addition and he is funny and sweet. I just love him!




He gets so much company now and I note I can hear Andy talking to him when I'm in the kitchen and he thinks I can't hear :)

But it is mutual he keeps me company and is so lovely to have around.

And he is a good dancer. Any music or rhythm and off he goes which the first time was just so funny I could hardly believe it. 

So this is one of those things that I think is just meant to be and you couldn't plan for it in a thousand years!

Have a wonderful weekend. xxx

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely story! I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your new friend who has been lonely for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, kind hearted person you are. Thank you for taking in this gorgeous bird. I'm sure he will be very happy and have a lovely life now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rach! He is gorgeous and has so much personality. He is easy to love! xxx

      Delete
  3. Annabel, Ricky has found a wonderful home with you and Andy. What a beautiful story, it made me cry. I think Ricky might have been trying to get your attention as he was desperately in need of a new owner and what perfect timing as well. Out of such sadness comes joy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaye... I should have added the bell in the picture is the bell he had, we brought his things with him. Now he rings it when he hears Andys van coming in. Pretty cute. It is beautiful to see him happier and happier everyday. xxx

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous boy!

    He is so lucky you have him in your care now, and so are you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think we struck gold really but it is so nice so see him so happy he is such a character!

      Delete
  5. It is so wonderful that he has you and Andy to care for and love him, who knows what would have become of him otherwise, but I have one question (please don't be offended by it) does he ever come out of his cage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ronniie no I am not offended... where he was he was in a huge cage (which was good) but he was so lonely. Our cage is smaller though. He is at least 40 years old so we know he couldnt make it on his own ... Anyway he was very shy of me at first and now he eats happily out of my hand and has started eating from Andys hand as well. So we hope to soon reach a stage he can come out and play. We think this is achievable... (I have other birds who come out and about too. At the moment he is just seeming to be beside himself with everything we do and treats and all the attention, he seems to be soaking it up. It is so nice to see as he just used to sit and wait for someone to come and see him. Pretty sad. So it is a fair question and our aim as it would make his life even nicer! xxx

      Delete
    2. Wonderful, your reply bought tears to my eyes. Looks like he is in for a lovely life.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful addition to your family! I just discovered your blog tonight via my "Laine's Letters" search and see from this rescue that your heart is as big as hers. Wow, Ricky is one blessed birdie! I love birds but have always had cats for pets and so I feed the wild ones. Congratulations, he is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story & beautifullly written! Makes me want a bird too. I've always loved canarys & their song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen I can see you rescuing a bird and ending up with one that way... they are lovely pets as they are ALWAYS happy and singing etc. Thanks for the comment! xxx

      Delete
  8. So beautiful!Congratulations all around!
    Love,
    Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marybeth he has settled in so well! xxx

      Delete
  9. Our family parrot, Josie, died last year. She had outlived many family members and my parents had her for the last 10 years of her life. Their house is certainly quiet without her. They can live more than 100 years so they often outlive their owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what Im thinking! It is unbelievable how long they can live. Your parents are going to miss Josie... they have a way of taking over and being the centre of attention!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.