The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Monday 7 April 2014

Decorating with nature and what you have.

When it comes to table settings I am much better at setting for girlie parties and afternoon tea than for day to day. So I am on a bit of a challenge to make my tables look nice just now, and make them suitable for Easter and the time of year. And without spending anything!

A lovely table setting speaks volumes. And when it's nice you don't tend to plonk junk on there as you don't want to mess it up. It really makes your whole room look lovely.

Well I'm not that far but I have made a start. Today it is starting to rain and we need it so much. The garden is so dry. I have the crock pot filled with chicken and vegetables for dinner and pies. Tomorrow I am giving the girls each a pie and we will then have pie Thursday night ourselves. Tonight it will be chicken casserole and vegies ( a rose by any other name)

I have cut hessian for a table runner and filled little peat pots with dried roses from summer roses.


Then I looked in my jars and bottles cupboard and used three small bottles and wrapped them in hessian as well and added some flowers...



I got 20 of these little bottles for 5c each ages ago. They have been good for balsamic vinegar that I make now and then... anyway these three had no lids so were unused until now.

Thinking what else do I have that is rustic and interesting? Last winter after a huge storm Chloe had a nest fall in front of her house. It was an old one (no chicks or eggs) and knew I'd love it. I've added fake eggs and placed it on a stand with a cloche over the top, for a kind of Easter theme....


I found the most delicate etched cloche on the side of the road last year. That was it all alone no base or anything. I couldn't believe this one! I just found a glass plate it basically fits and I've re used a craft nest for the same look...



This is as far as I have got! Hopefully you will see the full settings sometime soon!

Things from nature make lovely settings. I have used deer antlers on my sideboard and table, autumn leaves, pin cones, shells...  If you browse catalogues or home ware stores natural elements are everywhere. And they charge the earth for them which makes me laugh as they are free if you can be bothered. A bowl of autumn leaves can look lovely. Driftwood, moss... all kinds of things.

Once years ago when the girls were early teens Dad had a huge event and the SA premier attended. As usual the girls and I set the tables which were huge rustic gum tree tables. We made long running displays of deer antlers, rocks with lichen on them and banksias. We used these things as they were from the farm and around the house. Well several people asked who was the florist who did the table decor? lol I wonder what that would have cost? It is good to know people thought it looked that good but it was two kids, a Mum and was 100% free. We just went for a walk outside to see what we could find. I learned that from Nana B that's what she would have done. So look around and see what you can use to great effect for free.

Nature is more beautiful than most things you can buy. I remember Nate Berkus on Oprah saying he always likes to place something from the sea in a room. So I am always watching for things that are beautiful or interesting. And I notice bundles of sticks are big in home ware stores. Yep literally sticks tied in bundles. To place next to the fire place etc for a winter look. 

I need to go add things to this crock pot. I have half a dozen carrots to chop next. 

Have a lovely day.xxx




2 comments:

  1. Your table setting for Easter looks lovely and rustic. I can't believe you got that etched cloche from the side of the road!! The best stuff finds it way to you! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your little cloche display. How gorgeous! I love that just the smell of home cooking and a beautifully set table makes us all feel cherished :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.