The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Thursday 13 November 2014

Feather your Nest Friday 14 November 2014.

This week was a big one! And it went so fast which isn't surprising as the weeks leading up to Christmas seem to by even faster than the rest of the year.

Anyway it was good and the highlight was Lucy's scan and seeing my first baby photo of the baby sucking his/her thumb! That was so cute. So precious and adorable at 12 weeks. Already with fingerprints and responding to touch and whats going on. Truly beautiful (and exciting).


Chloe had said to me that Lucy's "nesting hormones" had kicked in which made me laugh. We have used the term nesting forever to describe fluffing around with your house and homemaking! And yes there are times when we prepare and these are exciting times. Getting ready for a baby or even an event like Christmas we do preparations and there is a lot of fun in preparations! But getting ready for a baby must be the biggest thing to get ready for!

I have always LOVED preparations and all forms of them like Glory Boxes, gift cupboards, Pantry's, cooking for an event...  knitting for a baby... making jam and pies to put fruit away for winter, they are all preparations. Well, I love them! Busy as a bee! Maybe thats why I love birds, bees and ants etc you can see they are busy getting ready. It is instilled in us and like a squirrel stored nuts for the winter we are to do the same. But this has been lost a bit as we have come to rely on supermarkets etc and that is a whole separate story that I am going to be working on in the new year.

A couple of weeks ago I put a link on face book to remind everyone about Kelleys Pillowcase Project. But I forgot not everyone would see this.  I sent off my pillowcases and it was really exciting to see they arrived in Guam! This is the link as it is not too late to make pillowcases for this gorgeous project and a lovely thing to do for Christmas. You know, I know Kelley will be having a wonderful Christmas as she does things for other people. 
The Pillowcase Project.The Pillowcase Project.

To see lots of pillowcases arriving (including mine!) 
Lots of pillowcases arrive.

I am meant to be talking about the things I did this week to build up our home:

Firstly I took cuttings of a deep velvety red geranium. I had seen one in the nursery and loved it and am suddenly drawn to this deep red. It was $16 for one geranium. So I took cuttings from one from a friend instead and have them in water for now, it is enough for five plants.

I brought roses inside and thoroughly enjoyed them. Really everyday the ones inside and the ones in the garden were beautiful. I used some pink ones in two different lots of photos as well.


Petrol was way down in price ($1.29) so I filled up my car and today I saw petrol is $1.50. A full tank lasts me just ages.

Mum was gardening and had spare succulents and gave me several. I used them in a patch in the garden that is really dry so that is now my little succulent garden. They are really pretty and expensive in the nursery. Plus they save water in a dry spot.



We had several cold dinners. My husband loves cold meat and salad etc when the weather is hot. Last year I was amazed how much money I saved by doing this more often. I blamed the air conditioner  for expensive electricity but by not using the stove I was surprised by a much lower power bill. Plus it is easy, less mess to clean up and keeps the house cooler!

I did some gift wrapping for Christmas parcels I mail. I count this as a saving as I made all the gifts myself. And starting on this creates an atmosphere of Christmas coming in our home. This feels wonderful! Maybe nothing about building up your home is as important as the atmosphere part..




I found cucumbers at a bargain price so am using lots and making pickles. I do pickles for my husband as he likes them and they are good in cold dinners, with lunches etc and they take 5 minutes to make. I am going to share this simple method coming up. They are the worlds easiest preserves.

It was a good week and I got lots done in the house and the garden. And it's Friday already!

Thank you so much to everyone who joined in last week. I was so impressed and inspired. And something more...I have felt in a bit of despair about the world at times lately and I have really felt better seeing that there are families getting on with things, knowing what's important, with priorities straight... well this has been really wonderful. I feel encouraged and I needed that.  In turn I hope we all encourage others who might be just reading quietly like I did when I read Laines Letters. It never occurred to me to comment or write to her for twenty years or so! But I was reading Christian and homemaking blogs and absorbing absorbing absorbing! These ladies were like friends in my mind and now years later are friends!

I can't wait to hear what you did this week to build up your home and any ideas you might have. Have a lovely weekend. xxx

9 comments:

  1. Another lovely post Annabel. You did so well with your fuel price! We took up the 14c per litre saving on fuel and stocked up on toilet paper! It saved just on $8 so quite worthwhile considering we need a full tank for our trip away. I've been planning and packing food to take away. I also bought pads of 100 sheet different designs scrapbook paper for 6.99 at aldi. We can wrap gifts like DVDs etc for 7c. Lots of other ideas and plans we have also for them as its nice sturdy paper. Planning gives us purpose for certain Annabel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was a really smart idea about buying the specials at the petrol station like you did Kaye.
      Have a wonderful trip! I hope its a real break for you.
      And yes planning and exciting events do give us lots of purpose and its wonderful to be needed! xxx

      Delete
  2. Your roses are lovely, Annabel. At the beach petrol was cheaper than here at home so I filled up. My little car only uses 1/4 tank for the trip. So economical. Yes, don't worry about world events. All we can do is keep our eyes on the Lord and pray. HE is still in control. Nice going with the labels in your sidebar :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanna Chel since I have a smaller car (after having a big 4 wheel drive when I lived in the country) I am thrilled by how far I get on a tank of petrol! Best thing I ever did!
      Thank you for your help with my blog. I am getting through my posts with the labels, nearly there! It needed doing, was out of hand! Love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  3. OOH your going to be a granmother! How exciting for you all, more love to share. So happy for you! Congratulations!
    I pickled jalepenos, ate lots from my garden & continued to tend it & plant/sow, I put more effort into surveys & (even) housework, not my strong point but the place is looking good for now. I put meals in the freezer and rode my bike places, I had a good week.
    So nice to read your pretty blog Annanbel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen! Yes this is big news! I am very happy as Lucy was dreaming of a baby on the way this year.
      Well done on all your efforts. It is amazing how things add up, work wise and money wise too. Meals in the freezer are a huge help. I am thrilled you commented here. A letter is coming... xxxx

      Delete
    2. Hi Annabel, testing my iPod to see if my comment will go through

      Delete
  4. I don't think my comment went through. I wanted to congratulate you on the grandbaby. My own youngest daughter is just that far along as well and I am over the moon. This is number 9 for us but it's still exciting to me to watch our family grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri! Wow number 9! That is just wonderful. Christmas in your family must be beautiful. I cant wait for the fun of Christmas with children again! xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.