The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Winter Sunshine Cake.

In the middle of winter when it is cold and gloomy here in Adelaide oranges are in season. So many gardens have an orange tree that often I have free oranges. Otherwise they are cheap to buy this time of the year. And they are so big, juicy and healthy.

I find myself drawn to the oranges and yellows as if they are a pop of sunshine that I start to crave. They are cheery and bright and fresh.

This cake is so quick and easy. It smells so fresh and orangey. The colour is divine! It truly is a burst of sunshine on a winters day.

On top of that it freezes well. I make a slab and freeze some which then are perfect to pop in lunch boxes, send fishing with the boys and that kind of thing. It is thawed by the time they look for it. So fresh.

This recipe makes a large slab cake or a dozen patty cakes and a medium cake. 

In my grandmothers ethos I make it in a baking tray as it is the biggest pan that will fit in the oven. This makes a lower flatter cake. The science of this is there is more icing area. As a child this was my idea of joy and I haven't matured much!

Its up to you. You can give one away as a gift or freeze one.

Winter Sunshine Cake.

1 whole big orange. (2 smaller)
1 cup orange juice from other oranges or bought juice.
2 cups castor or white sugar.
1 and a half cups sunflower oil or other oil.
6 eggs.
4 cups SR flour.

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. 

Wash your orange. Cut it into quarters and pop the whole thing into a blender or use a stick blender to blend it. It is raw. You do not cook it first. It is peel and all. The whole thing.
(I have read recipes you boil the orange. This tastes fresher and saves all that electricity)
In a bowl cream your eggs and sugar, add oil and then add blended orange plus juice. Gradually add in your SR flour.

I do whole thing with a stick blender.

It is quite a wet mix. Plus it looks a little grainy due to the whole orange and peel. It is a divine colour, so deep orange.

Use non stick baking paper to line your pan or pans. If you cook it as one cake allow about 45 mins. I put it in at 180 but turn it down a little after about ten mins to more like 160. It depends on your oven.

If patty pans check after ten mins. Just do test where you insert a skewer and if it comes out clean you are done.

It puffs up golden like this...



When your skewer comes out clean take it out and let it cool. When cool enough tip it over gently onto a big plate or board and peel off paper. It smells so good! Like buttery orange.

For your icing use a tablespoon of melted butter, icing sugar and orange juice. Make a good thick consistency. It is so yum and more lovely colour.



By luck I had these roses in the garden and they matched perfectly. 

Inside the cake looks lemon/orange and beautiful.




I made this last night. And it has been rainy, blowing a gale, hail and not far away snow and Adelaide DOES NOT get snow!

This is really a great cake and so cheerful and bright. I ate a piece for breakfast telling myself it is eggs and orange juice!






10 comments:

  1. Eggs and orange juice for breakfast, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Rebecca that is healthy right? It is so stormy here today the cake is actually the best part of the day! xxx

      Delete
  2. Annabel, your Orange cake looks so pretty . I want to bake something tomorrow ,for my family's get together , this will be perfect! Thankyou xx Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. I hope it works out brilliantly for you. I always er on the side of the biggest orange, generous with the juice. But it always turns out. xxx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Kat, I am a big fan so you've made my day!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, what a scrumptious looking cake. Plenty of oranges here at the moment, my tree is loaded, guess what I am making in the next day or so?

    It's beautiful weather here in sunny Port Augusta, with 20C today...the nights are in the minuses though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a South Australian! The oranges are wonderful now (and the sun today has been gorgeous) If you like this cake it can be frozen and even made as cupcakes and frozen... to use up some oranges. I just had a bit from the freezer with my afternoon tea. I just love it. Many thanks

      Delete
  5. This not only looks scrumptious but looks super easy to make. I have often wondered about making an orange cake with a whole orange, but have never given it a go. Your recipe and explanation make it sound easy peasy! I agree with you about the more icing the better :) I think this will be perfect to fill the lunch boxes this week,as well as the fact that orange cake is my all time fave! I will be making this for sure on Sunday. Thanks for sharing your recipe and have an awesome weekend. Cheers Donna Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it works wonderfully for you Donna. For lunch boxes you could also make it up as muffins... easy to handle.For children you could also cut some of the peel off part of your orange which would give it a milder flavor if you wanted to, Im pretty sure you will love it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.