The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Sunday 13 July 2014

The wise woman builds her home...


I think we would all have words, music, artworks or even movies that we know just send our hearts into raptures of happiness and we know the way they make us feel. Actually thinking about that and coming up with a list of them is an interesting project. When I see/hear/watch these things I think WHY don't I include them all the time? I notice how happy they make me feel, it is kind of silly not to include them in daily life somehow. 

I mention Laines Letters a lot. When I discovered them and started reading my heart just leapt. (Unfortunately the links I posted earlier are now not working and I don't know how to find them currently). I felt the same reading Aunt Ruthie from the beginning on Sugar Pie Farmhouse and there are a lot of similarities between the two. 

This information is important! You know what words inspire you and what words encourage you. Having them around you is a really good idea. Life can be hard. Days can go wrong. We really need daily encouragement and some good material coming in to help sustain us.
I certainly do. Lovely words, encouragement, something beautiful, uplifting music... that all are medicinal to me and I can feel it. It's doing yourself a favour to keep these words where you can see them!

A favourite piece of scripture is " whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is admirable,- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy,- think on these things".

 God knows we need to feed our minds with good things and we are instructed to do it. I think it's part of guarding our hearts. So we need to think how to go about this and include as much good material as we can. And we all know how much difference it makes to how we feel. Aunty Ruthie on Sugar Pie Farmhouse makes sure she fills her home with happy words. You feel happy just looking at pictures of her home! She is really onto something...
For my second kitchen sign I decided on one of my favourite verses that is short enough to fit on my lovely bed head piece. It's something I love and encourages me loads!



As I was painting this Andy read it and paused and said "well, what does the foolish woman do then?" and I said "the foolish woman tears her house down with her own hands"... he was super impressed lol! 

So what does it mean? I think each year I understand it a little bit more. I loved it from day one but it keeps revealing new things to me. 

It doesn't mean you need to start hauling bricks. Luckily! To build up is to increase, strengthen, beautify and secure... so every little thing you do to maintain, make a nice atmosphere, budget, decorate, take care of your family is building your home. 

We see it all around us. Hopefully we all have some good examples of building up our homes. Mum and Nana cleaning, making things look nice, warm, safe, an atmosphere of security and comfort, building up the pantry, prettying up the garden and all the millions of things involved in looking after the home and everyone in it!

Almost as often you see people tearing down their own homes for one reason or another... recently a friend has lost a fortune as his wife became addicted to online gambling. That is tearing down your home. Living outside your budget, neglecting things, domestic violence and a list of things that cause destruction. 

What has been built can also be torn down sadly. And fast. 

When I see these words I know I am doing an important thing. I know the girls have very happy memories of a beautiful childhood as they both tell me they feel they had a "fairytale' childhood. That is one thing that makes me so happy as when you are in the thick of things you hope to be successful and when you look back you will have no regrets. Sometimes it is hard. So to hear the words "thanks Mum for my fairytale childhood" and Lucy included that also in her wedding speech! That was a moment I knew each little thing had added up to give them both beautiful childhoods. 

Whatever season of life we are in it is the same day to day effort. But if we understand there is a bigger mission and a result that will affect future generations then we know we are doing important work. Don't let anyone tell you it is not important work! They have no understanding to say this!

Each day I try to at east cover the basics of course and then add something to in some way improve things in the home. It might be an added freezer meal, adding something to the pantry, brining in some flowers, having an extra clean or rearrange, saving a little security money... but something that is building things up. Usually I write a little note in my journal. It is amazing who things improve and grow when we try and do something everyday. It doesn't have to be much as long as we are building up and not tearing down! 

I want this sign to set the tone in my kitchen. Which now has counter tops, a stove, a cook top and is really coming together!

Have a wonderful and productive week. And keep encouraging words close to you. xxx



10 comments:

  1. What a truly heartfelt and beautiful post Annabel xoxoxo

    We have been watching episodes of "The Waltons" during the school holidays. I have had these boxed sets for years and felt they would be pleasant to watch at night instead of some of the gruesome shows that are on now. The women (Mama and Grandma) are so very inspiring and true "builders" of their homes. I also love listening to Kari Jobe as I go about my day. Her sweet soothing voice and beautiful lyrics are so uplifting.

    I also love the scriptures you have mentioned. Prov 14:1 has become my mandate. Such wonderful wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye that is such a good idea. Helen watches old movies, they are so happy and sweet and what we should be watching. My favourite old series is Greenacres. That show cracks me up. Its delightful! Yep we need to give oursleves lovely things to think on! xxx

      Delete
    2. Lovely Kaye sent me this from a blog called Always Learning. I love it and now am in love with this blog. She also loves Laines Letters!


      Are You A Garden Of Beauty?

      Posted: 13 Jul 2014 06:00 AM PDT



      Are you a garden of beauty? Do you fill you thoughts and your mind with things that are lovely? Do you seek those things that are above and not those things of the world? Do you try to separate yourself from the evil in the world or do you try to get as close to it as you can get without being burned?

      Charles Spurgeon wrote these words, "The genuine Christian must seek to be more excellent in his life than the best moralist, because Christ's garden ought to produce the best flowers in all the world...The saints are not to remain undeveloped, always mere buds and blossoms. We should grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

      We must sit at His feet often drinking His words of life. We must remind ourselves continually of His rich promises to us and rest in them. How will the world know about our Savior if we don't draw them by our beauty?

      People who sit at Jesus' feet continually are beautiful. Have you noticed that? Not gorgeous beautiful as the world describes beauty, but inner, joyful, happy beautiful. They speak encouraging words, smile a lot, listen carefully, and are optimistic. They smile at the future to come and you always feel refreshed after being with them.

      You may ask, "But how can I do this? I try and always fail." We are transformed by the renewing of our mind. Continually remind your self who you are in Christ. You are a new creature, a child of the living God, and His Holy Spirit lives inside of you. Nothing is impossible with Him. You can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens you.

      We, who are called by His name, ought to look and sound different than the world. Yes, the world will hate us but some will be drawn to us because of Christ. The world needs Jesus. It is so very dark and needs the warm, illuminating light of Truth. Never be afraid to speak it, because great are your rewards in heaven.

      You are the salt of the earth...
      You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;
      nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
      Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
      Matthew 5:13-16

      What a discovery, thank you Kaye.xxx

      Delete
    3. Such words of grace and truth; manna from the hand of the Divine; the only bread that can truly satisfy the human spirit and impart life forevermore.

      A garden of beauty? Well it was a garden that was God's intention from the beginning. Fruitfulness, fragrance, growth, green leaves, beauty and multiplication were all ordained in Eden. How exquisite that this same work of his hand is now a possibility in the hearts of his children.

      Will add Always Learning to my must read list. :)

      Delete
  2. This is such sweet wisdom. I knew that "a wise woman builds her house ..." includes speaking words of life, peace, encouragement, vision and blessing to our family, but had wondered about further applications. I really love your list of practical outworkings of that verse. The best part, I think, is that it is so doable! I can prepare and freeze an extra meal, put away a little money and add an element of beauty each day. A little journal note honours it (the building) further.

    Thank you for sharing the richness of your heart in this post. Encouragement received. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane you have encouraged me right back! I think in terms of maintaining and building. There are days when maintaining is all you can do! But most days I think of building someway/somehow. And I feel really happy when I have done something extra! Mind you I've been taking building too far lifting kitchen cupboards etc and helping Andy with this new kitchen! I will be so glad when this has finished, about a week... Thank you so much! xxx

      Delete
  3. Thanks,
    I needed that!I have been thinking about these things as well lately. I love the way you say things, it's as if I can picture it in my head as you speak.
    Much love to you. xoxoxo Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marybeth. It was bitterly cold here today. I stayed in and did a bit of building up my home! I achieved quite a few things so it was really a good day. Thinking on lovely verses is really uplifting and I need to make sure I do it and keep myself on track! Thank you for your kindness.xxx

      Delete
  4. And may God approve of us as godly women of Psalm 90:17, my life verse. May every room of our homes be filled to the brim with good and pleasant riches.

    I've followed Lori's "Always Learning" for several years now. Your blog and Lori's... and Laine's Letters always feed my heart and fill my mind with pleasant riches.

    Thank you, Annabel.

    Hugs and happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley you have had me look up Psalm 90.17 and having a read. Thank you so much for sharing that.
      Yes, keeping our minds, hearts and homes filled with pleasant riches! xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.