The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Monday 4 March 2019

The Tuesday Afternoon Club. A post by Alison.

Many of you will remember the earlier post we have from Alison and Rebecca that got  The Tuesday Afternoon Club started!  
If you missed that or need a reminder read that here.  It is really inspiring and since we are still early in the year there is still plenty of time to join in! 

Now are are having a catch up with what the girls are up to this year!  This week we have a post from Alison and next week from Rebecca. Then we will go back to some sharing here of what you all have been making especially for the ladies that do not have Facebook.
This group has grown and the ideas and work each week is amazing.  It motivates me heaps as I think how I better get moving or I won't have anything to post on Tuesday!  Right now I am about to go over and post my weeks work.  Anyone can share any time but we have a focus on meeting Tuesdays as deadlines are good, they get us moving! 

So over to Alison... 



Rebecca and I have started our year of crafting with a planning session. We looked at how our gifts were received, at the sort of gifts that other family and friends gave and received, and just kept our eyes open and made mental notes of ideas that we could use. We shared these ideas and have come up with an exciting range of crafts - some are old favourites that are always popular, and some new ones too. We're also getting so much inspiration from the Tuesday Afternoon Club that I think we need to have two Tuesdays a week to be able to make everything!



Candles with draw-string bags, petal box with lip balm

As Rebecca said, we're keen to make more soap, both for ourselves and as gifts. We were delighted to hear that our recipients were very happy with it, and we even had one report that it had helped one girl's eczema. I am continuing to look in op shops for additional moulds, and I may even enlist my husband to make a wooden mould for us. This would give us a more regular shaped bar of soap which would be easier to package attractively.



Hand-made soap with belly bands listing the ingredients. Another label on the back states the fragrance.


I have been using a shampoo bar from a local small business for the last few months and am keen to experiment with making them as well as conditioning bars to go with them. I'm keen to reduce our use of plastics as well as the use of chemicals.



Soup bowl cosy


Encouraged by Annabel's suggestion to look at what supplies we already have on hand, we are looking for projects to make with our fabric stashes, and my stash of cotton and cotton blend yarns. I have already begun crocheting a face cloth using a pattern that was posted in the Club pages. I have a good supply of this yarn so I will be able to make lots of things with it.  



Bargain tea towels from Kmart sewn into a lined swimming bag.

We're approaching this year of making with open minds - and also with open eyes. We both enjoy finding useful bargains at op shops and considering how such things might be used or repurposed in our homes or as gifts.



Tea lights in hand-made boxes

I feel that I am so blessed to have Rebecca as my friend, that we live close together and that we share similar interests and that we have a compatible skill set. There are some skills that overlap, and some unique ones that we bring together to share with each other. Rebecca is definitely the maths wizard of our pair, and when she does some fiendishly complicated maths all I can do is agree that “that looks right”. I think that Annabel has had a brilliant idea to create the Tuesday Afternoon group so that we can all share our ideas and encourage each other and maybe even make new friends whether we live close together or in another country.

Lined tote bag made from repurposed jeans



Candles with labels attached by wash tape

Thank you so much Alison!  All your ideas are amazing and everything you have made is so lovely.   I love how you researched to get your ideas.   Browsing some of the expensive stores myself lately I am seeing a lot of eco themed type gifts i.e. produce bags,  old fashioned wooden pegs, baskets, knitted cotton dish cloths, natural cleaning and skin care, fabric serviettes... heaps of things that Grandma used.  Many of these we can make!  Seeing the prices is really interesting too... and the presentation!

Next week we will hear from Rebecca.
I hope you all feel inspired! xxx








13 comments:

  1. Dear Annabel and Alison - wow everything looks so beautiful Alison, I would be super happy with any of those gifts. Thanks for the reminder that planning is very important - well done to you and Rebecca. What a productive friendship! Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Annabel, what a wonderful platform you have created for all the Bluebirds and newbies to share such super crafts and clever ideas. Im sure everyone , including myself is appreciative of all you do.
    IM not so good at posting things Ive made to the Tuesday club, life here keeps me busy in other ways and Im an impatient one to make many of the beautiful crafts that are shown ,but am happy to dabble in what works for me .
    Alison , the gifts you have made are just gorgeous ! and you and Rebecca should be so proud of what you have achieved , workign together so well . I love everything shown above! WEll done ladies!
    With love Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone,
    Wow, thanks Alison for sharing an update on what you and Rebecca have been busy making this year. The projects all look so great and very professional. I especially love the tote bags, as I too have a stash of fabric I'm always looking for ideas what I can make with. The tea towel one reminded me of another good idea I have seen where a lady used cute purchased Christmas tea towels to make xmas themed pillows. I'm also interested in the soap you made, as one of my children has eczema and its so hard to find products that work well. Is there any chance you could share where you got the soap recipe?? Thanks for all the lovely ideas and inspiration, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. I was quietly delighted with the tote bag. My daughter uses it as her swimming bag and she loves it. I like the idea about the Christmas pillows and will make a note of that! The soap recipe is really easy, we used the Simple Starter Soap with Lard from this page:
      http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/basic-soap-recipe.html
      We used the room temperature method (there's a link to information about it on this page) and found it really quick and straightforward. I hope that it helps your child's skin. Thanks, Alison

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the reply Alison and sharing the soap recipe you used. I definitely want to give this a go, it may just be the thing that works for us... fingers crossed!! Kelly

      Delete
  4. Annabel thank you so much for showcasing Alison and Rebecca' beautiful handcrafted items :).

    They are beautiful and I like the way they are all presented and the handmade boxes are beautiful. The use of recycled materials are lovely in the tote bag too :).

    Keep up the great work ladies.

    Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the pretty handworks every week ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made the soup bowl cozies. I made one to try them. My husband was using it every day for soup (lunch). I couldn't keep it clean! So I made two more. They are very easy and quick to make once you have made the pattern. I had cotton material and batting to use already. I feel sure they would be a well received gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine I think they would be great for soup! Obviously a hit with your husband! xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow! Thanks for sharing. These are awesome gift ideas.

    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Alison. If you notice the Tuesday Club has grown to over 500 members now. You girls have inspired us all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alison,

    Your gifts are beautiful, as is the packaging. I really love that repurposed jeans tote!! I sure wish I had a maths whiz here, too, to assist with crafting!!! :)

    I do love seeing what others make! It is so inspiring, and just lots of fun.

    Ciao from chilly Nova Scotia!

    xx Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the recycled jeans tote too - I received it for Christmas!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.