The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Bless this Nest.

My last post was about my ladder that Andy found for me on the side of the road. I just realised we are on the side of the road again...

A beautiful blog I follow (see link on my blog list) is Sugar Pie Farmhouse. I cannot fail to feel happy reading that blog. It is uplifting and gorgeous. Aunty Ruthie loves chalk boards and writes lovely happy messages on them as she believes we should think on happy things. And I couldn't agree more.

Some of her chalk boards have been made from old wooden bed heads, the top parts are a pretty shape and the bottom is flat. So they sit on a shelf very nicely (or a mantlepiece).

I thought this was genius. So I explained this to Andy and evidently he "got it" as a little while ago he came home with huge pieces of wood that looked like a bedhead. I think it was but it had been dismantled somehow.... 

Well, he got it right! 

And here I am waiting on the one thing in our kitchen we are hiring someone to do and that is put our countertops on. While waiting for Friday to come I can do no more. So I decided it's time to paint my chalkboard signs. 

Here is the first one which is going over my pantry cupboards. Last year I made a few chalkboards and it's very easy. You can buy the paint in any colour these days too. There are chalk markers which look like a texta and this lasts rather than being smudged off which is good on a decorative sign. I soon realised if it is a sign and you really won't use it as a blackboard you can use a matt black paint or even if it is going to be framed you can use black cardboard. And you can use paint for your design.. I have used chalk paint and acrylic paints and a paint brush here.

The shapes are lovely and couldn't be more perfect! They are heavy too. 




This is a really easy craft. Imagine the possibilities. Finding an old coffee table and painting a chalkboard on the top for little kids to draw on or an old door and mounting sideways somewhere for works of art. Painting a wall in your kitchen or inside a cupboard door as your place for lists. I love the look of menus on chalkboards and we did these for Lucy's wedding.

I use a bit of real chalk to roughly make a design as it can be removed. If you need ideas Google or use Pinterest keeping in mind we mostly say "Blackboard" and the US they say "Chalkboard".  I've heard that so many times now I tend to say it that way!

My kitchen is hopefully going to look quite farmhouse style and I am using several recycled things to give it country charm. Well, thats the plan!



This sign makes me feel happy! Bluebirds are cheerful and sweet and just make me smile!


Having words and images that lift my heart where I can see them does me good. We need that!  If you have a favourite verse or inspirational quote put it up where you can see it. Words have a powerful effect.  I have a series of favourite verses I am working on. I will post on of them tomorrow! 





4 comments:

  1. I can almost hear that little bird chirping his song. :)

    Recently I discovered blackboard fabric which maybe useful if something can't easily be painted and flexibility is required.

    Here is a special blessing for your nest: Is 32:18 My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! It breaks my heart to think of all the Christians being driven out of their homes and persecuted especially just now. We are so lucky to have a peaceful secure home.

      I know nothing of blackboard fabric! I am off to check this out! Thank you! xxx

      Delete
    2. I sure love your handiwork! Your bluebirds are the sweetest little things... You even have yellow-breasted bluebirds. Aren't they adorable!

      Coming right along. It's a woman's heartfelt touch that adds the warmth and beauty to HOME.

      Hugs and happy highways,
      Kelley~

      Delete
    3. Thank you Kelley, Bluebirds are just happy little souls, the never fail to make me smile. Would you like to pm me as I have pillowcases to post to you for your challenge. xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.