The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Saturday 22 February 2014

Making the most of what you have.

Have you ever admired something in a store or a picture and then thought "oh yeh I have one just like it!" (or similar) What it has mean't is that someone has styled something to look just lovely and now we are wondering why we didn't think of that!

Many things just look beautiful if made the most of or used in an interesting way, given a life. Lots of gorgeous things never see the light of day and although we have them they do nothing for our daily joy or the beauty of our home! 

In a quest to use what I have and make the most of things yesterday I sat about finding a place for two old candle chandeliers I have had laying around. Really I had no where to hang them. One was hanging in the apricot tree for ages! In a concentrated effort to use them I walked through the house AGAIN looking and thinking. I have gradually been trying to make the front verandah look nicer and yesterday we had a cleaning and tidying day so it was all looking nice. Ta da! Why not hang these chandeliers out there?!

So at last they are up and they look lovely. They have improved my front door area a bit more and as we look out they look gorgeous. Last night I kept looking out the screen door as I was so pleased!



I just love the fact that they have gone from wasted to loved again in the space of a day! To the left in the picture below is the garden bed that has just been almost entirely re planted after being burned. Hopefully by spring that will be beautiful again.


And if the front entrance is an indication of what's to come in a home then our front entrance is starting to be that. 


It was dreary for a while and now it's much prettier. Now I actually feel inspired to keep going with this space as it has been a bit wasted.

Having a lot of "things with potential" in waiting, mainly in the craft room, I'm on a mission to make the most of each of them in a similar way. I had thought to have a major storage reorganise. Then I thought no, don't store things, use them up as decor, gifts, donations or whatever. So the storage idea is out. I'll use it or lose it. Many of my supplies can be made into Christmas and Birthday presents as well. 

Once again pinterest is a huge help in this. Simply name your languishing item with "other uses for" or "up cycled" and a few things like that and the suggestions start flowing. A daggy old frame in the shed or whatever is suddenly your next project and beautiful home addition. Some of my favourites are uses for birdbaths, urns and ladders. Oh so many gorgeous things! 

It is the most perfect day today. I hope everyone is having a beautiful Sunday! xxx


6 comments:

  1. Your home is such a lovely sanctuary Annabel. Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi. Thats what we all need, that sanctuary from the world. I know thats what you strive for too as many of my ideas come from you.xx

      Delete
  2. Your home is so beautiful Annabel. I love what you have done with the entrance. I would be looking out the screen door there admiring the changes and candelabras as well. :)

    I spent hours on "upcycled" and "repurposed" last night on Pinterest! I have a new addiction. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like celebrating Kaye because once you look at things and think how could I re use this, what could I do with it? the world gets really fun! And hearing you have such a wonderful new addiction just makes me smile! xxx

      Delete
    2. I see how tired I was yesterday calling your chandeliers candelabras!! lol.

      It is amazing Annabel, it is a lightbulb moment when you suddenly realize all the possibilities. I wonder though what is safe now in our home from the spray can or paint tin or craft glue! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm just looking through some of your older posts. What a beautiful home you have! It looks like an older heritage house, is that right? Forget a mansion, a cottage is my dream home. Although I do love my house. It feels so good to use what you already have!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.