The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Sunday 23 February 2014

A refresh is as good as a holiday!

A few weeks ago Andy came home with this coffee table which let's face it would not be greeted well by everyone...



The top was terribly scratched but he knew the pretty shape of the legs and top were on my hit list of good qualities!

Over the weekend I gave the top a quick sand and used some left over paint to paint it up. It was really quick and easy. I did it because as a table it is lovely but I was thinking I have no idea where I am actually going to put it! If it is something really lovely I will do something with it, it might end up given to someone, in the girls homes, a gift. But I felt pretty determined that this would suit our house.

Here it is painted while I am thinking where to put it!


Paint amazes me. Probably only an hour and a half of work and it is like a new table. If it was smaller I thought painted very pale tiffany blue Chloe would love it. Can you imagine even palest pink or blue.... ahh paint is wonderful!

So I had a re arrange. You know when you start moving things and it has a domino effect? I moved three things from the lounge room and as you do it you dust and wipe over then I was moving things in other rooms and putting some things away into storage and so on. In the end things got re arranged in the bedroom, office and lounge room. Dusting, cleaning, generally fluffing around until I was happy with it all. Oh my goodness! The bedroom ended up benefiting so much! The lounge room looks better too. It sounds simple but it turns into an epic saga but all worth it in the end!

So this is where it is going to live for now...



Today is so beautiful, sunny and perfect. As was yesterday. You know when you have re arranged a room or added to it and the next time you walk in there you "see it" for the first time and feel so pleased how much nicer things are? Well, today that has happened to me three times in three rooms and things just feel fresh and nice. And it all cost nothing. I couldn't be happier if I had spent a thousand dollars at a homemaker centre. 

Not everyone has a husband who brings in road side finds but most of us have furniture that might look different or a shed of old things, a parents or grandparents shed full of old stuff or op shops and garage sales and so on. All are great ways to find interesting bits and pieces. I wish I still had Pa who had a shed of amazing stuff! He kept everything. His shed had a museum quality about it. the things I could do with some of that stuff!

I am still reading Flylady everyday and on top of the wonderful article about making the most of what you have another was about making your home nice for YOU. Because YOU deserve it, you deserve to live in a nice environment, you deserve loveliness and peace. It doesn't have to be for guests or anyone else because we can even feel and think better in a relaxing place. I think that's so true. Every time I put in the effort to clean something up, make it better and organise some thing in the end it is really me who benefits most. Others will like it, Andy will be happy and all of that but I am here most and I benefit. It is true that it is hard to relax in a mess, in clutter and it is lovely to be happy at home. 

Little things that you know make you happy, a little bunch of flowers on your bedside table, a pretty cup and saucer, what ever it is, treat yourself nicely. On a busy day even these little things make a big difference.



3 comments:

  1. Andy finds the most amazing things! :)

    I so agree that changing things around and creating lots of areas with items that bring us joy is fulfilling. Every time I add something to a room (or even subtract it) I am finding it like a breath of fresh air. Making over some formerly unloved, temporarily discarded or forgotten objects (read items buried in the shed!) will be my mission for the rest of this year! Or should I say "upscaling" lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true what I always say: It only takes one thing to change everything.

    Sweet fun today. *wink*

    Hugs and happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.